In 2012, the Conseil des arts de Montréal set up a fund to receive bequest donations, deferred donations, planned giving and private-foundation donations, all to be reinvested in Montreal’s artistic community.
There is no joint initiative in the cultural community to collect private donations requiring long-term administration. Bequest donations (made through wills) assume organizations will be active for many years to come. Similarly, planned donations, be they in the form of prizes, bursaries or instalment gifts, require the type of attention that many organizations supported by the Conseil simply cannot provide, lacking the administrative capabilities. In this context, the Conseil has come up with an innovative solution allowing a new form of fundraising, while ensuring the sound administration of the funds. These administrative tasks will be assumed by the Foundation of Greater Montreal.
- All those working in the cultural sector who would like a portion of their assets to support their discipline long after their death.
- All those who would like to support a specific sector or innovative practice, realizing that a certain expertise is necessary to spot the most recent and innovative artistic practices.
- All those who would like to leave their personal mark on Montreal’s artistic landscape with the creation of a prize or bursary bearing their name or that of a family member, or dedicated to the memory of a loved one.
- All those who are preparing their wills and would like to leave something to support Montreal’s artistic community.
- All those who have established private family foundations who do not wish to administer funding requests from several artistic organizations, but rather make one large donation to an institution known for its knowledge of Montreal’s artistic community, which will distribute the funds according to the donor’s expressed guidelines.
- All those would like to make a gift of stock market securities in support of Montreal’s entire artistic community.
For further information, contact the Conseil de Montréal’s Arts-Philanthropy Project Manager, Émilie Chabot, at 514-280-3428.
For a testamentary bequest, be sure to indicate the Conseil des arts de Montréal (1210 Sherbrooke St. East) as beneficiary, as well as your guidelines regarding the use of the funds. For advice of any kind, please don’t hesitate to contact Émilie Chabot at 514-280-3428.