You love the arts and you’d like to help out, but you don’t know which group to support? Or aren’t familiar with all of Montreal’s artistic organizations? Here’s how to find that special favourite, while ensuring that the organization is legitimate and able to use your gift wisely.
1. It’s important to give to an organization that has special meaning for you. Perhaps you have enjoyed a particular play? A concert? Imagine what these artistic organizations could do with more resources. Your donation will be hugely appreciated. Contact the organization directly and offer to donate!
2. If you’d like to familiarize yourself with Montreal’s organizations before choosing one to support:
- Consult the specialized journals (Voir, Cult #Mtl, Baron Magazine, etc.) to read the reviews and advertisements of the organizations.
- Surf the net and join the blogs that interest you (ratsdeville, dance blogs, etc.).
- Take part in the activities of artsScène Montréal, which are designed for young professionals. These activities will show you the Montreal arts scene and how to become a patron.
- Go out and see the productions, take chances. Consult the website of La Vitrine to see the complete schedule of events and obtain last-minute tickets.
3. If an organization has asked you for a donation, and you’d like to know if it has credibility and is worth supporting:
The websites of the various arts councils contain lists of all subsidized organizations, which have been reviewed by peers and other recognized professionals. These lists are guarantees of quality. Take a look at the logos of the arts councils in the advertisements of the organizations—you’ll know right away if they have council support.
- Organizations supported by the Conseil des arts de Montréal
- Organizations supported by the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec
- Organizations supported by the Canada Council for the Arts
4. Are you fond of society events and interested in combining business with pleasure? Keep abreast of upcoming benefit events organized on behalf of Montreal’s artistic organizations. It’s a great way to meet other business professionals—and especially people from the organization you’d like to support!
- Both large and small artistic organizations face enormous funding challenges. Large cultural institutions need a vast amount of resources to make a name in Montreal and beyond.
- Small groups need money to continue to develop innovative projects, accessible to all, along with its administrative and organizational staff.
- Whatever the size, the challenges remain the same. Your support will always be welcome.